Friday, September 02, 2011

Tree Training Pictures for Dad

I've told Dad for the past while that I would take some pictures of my trees. I'm using rope to try to train the branches. In the winter I'll prune the apple trees and then prune the plum and cherry next spring. The goal is to get the apple and cherry trees to look kind of like a christmas tree and the plum to look like a vase. We'll see how they turn out in the end.

This is a stella cherry.

This is a stanely plum.


This is a braeburn.

This one is a golden delicious.

3 comments:

Jess and Jason said...

I didn't know you could shape fruit trees. That is pretty cool! I like that I can see a little apple on your tree already!

Linda G. Paulsen said...

A neighbor in Mapleton has shaped several apple trees planted in a row to look like a blooming picket fence. It's amazing.

Dad and Mom said...

Thanks Mike. I like your posts and tree wrap straps. I used to use a rope through a piece of 1/2-inch tubing. And I put my posts much closer to the tree, and only use 2 posts, so yours are much more secure. We didn't have our apple trees staked up at all unitil the hurricane the Saturday night before last. It blew them around so much that I was afraid they wouldn't stand up by themselves any longer, so I put up some posts and tied them up with gardening velcro strips and plastic tubing. It was nice not to have to tie the ends together but to just stick themtogether. I'll post some pictures of them soon.