Friday, September 28, 2007

Here in Bismarck...

So life goes on, even though we have moved. Things are different, of course. A normal day for us goes like this: We all get up and get ready for the day and are out of the house by 7:45 at the latest. We drive Mike up to work, which starts at 8am. Then we drive down to Mikayla's school, which starts at 8:35am. If we get there before 8:05 we sit in the car until that time. She can go wait in the gym but she doesn't like to. Kids can be on the playground at 8:05, so she waits until then. Then the boys and I drive home. We do whatever it is that we do all day. I'm still not sure what all that is. Then at 3pm the boys and I get back into the car and go to MIkayla's school, out at 3:05 and bring her home. At 4:50pm we get back in the car and go pick up Mike, off at 5 pm. We come home and have dinner and then look around and think about hanging pictures.
Apartment living has many negatives....
*We had to write a formal complaint against our neighbors for being up several nights out on their balcony being very loud and using foul language, until 5 am.
*Today we had a girl come tell that our kids had been running around being too loud last night at 10:30pm... well, my kids were in bed before CSI started, so that was a false accusation, which made me made.
*We live on the second floor, which means lots of trips up and down stares, carrying groceries, or children or both.
*We have to use a stupid key to get into the building, which means putting down whatever your arms are full of to open the door.
*The kids don't get outside as much as they used to. I try and get them to a park occasssionally, but it's not as easy as letting them go play in the yard or ride their bikes around the neighborhood.
*Since we have to buzz people up, there are no solicitors, this is a good thing.
On joining a new ward...
*We get there five minutes early each week and still have to sit in the overflow. I hate that. We are used to sitting in the front of the chapel. Apparently this ward is all about being early to church.
*The ward is large but the primary isn't. This means Mikayla is the only kid in her class, and Braden is the only boy in a class of three girls. They both used to have 12-14 kids in their classes.
*The nursery has about 12 kids, but the room is so tiny, they can't do much in there.
*The bishop asked us if Mike had any involvement in scouts.... do that do that in Canada? OH NO!!
*Since I am going to have a baby soon, I figure they wont give me calling immediatley.
*Since our in-laws are in the ward and told everyone we were coming, whenever we meet someone they say, "Oh, we heard about you..."

On the up side, we are all over the flu that seemed to hit each one of us this week. We have been looking for a second car, and hope to make a decision before the baby comes. Mikayla likes her school. Mike likes his job, but has some considerable stress right now over learning new stuff and keeping up to his deadlines, let alone waiting for a call that the baby is coming. Our apartment is really a nice place, but we hope to be in a home by spring/summer next year. It's fun to have family so close. Mom is coming on Thursday, so if we can make it that far, then I think I can survive another baby. If he comes early... well, I just don't know what we'll do. Who will do all that driving???

2 comments:

Andy Laura Nick and Noah said...

Laura and I FEEL YOUR PAIN. Just about every day for the first couple of weeks after we got here, Laura asked me if I heard how the neighbors above us did this or the neighbors in the other building talked all night on their balcony or how the boy above us was practicing his singing untill 0ne in the morning. Not to mention our self proclamed bipoler neigbor who lost her job week before last. But the stairs are good for your legs and heart. Good luck with everything.

Mike and Adrianne said...

We had some of those problems here too. We lived in an apartment where a bunch of gang members lived. They were always very respectful during the day when I was out with Will but I would NEVER be outside my apartment by myself at night. We had to call the cops a few times because they would be out yelling at each other in the wee hours of the morning. I love having a house now so I don't have to hear all that.