Sunday, September 02, 2007

We have an escape artist on our hands

This morning I got in the shower before Mike left. I made sure that Will was all set up on his starfall program so that he could practice his ABC's while I was in the shower. Isaac was watching him do it. I heard Mike close the door when he left. I always leave my bedroom door open and occassionally leave my bathroom door open too (Isaac likes to try and climb in the shower so I have been closing the door lately). Anyway, I got out of the shower and thought, "Hmm, it's quiet in here. The boys usually come to see where I am when I shower. What are they doing?" I hurried and got my garments on and then heard a knock on the door so I went down the hallway and the doors were open and the boys were both outside! I saw my neighbor Max on the doorstep so I ran back to the room, grabbed Mike's robe and then came to the door. Max was like, "I saw both boys outside and I didn't see you or Mike so I wondered if everything was ok." When I told Mike about it at church he said that he had closed both doors and locked one of them. That is so scary. We live on a busy neigborhood road not a busy town road if that makes sense. What are we going to do now that Will can get out of the house? How am I going to take a shower now? It reminds me of my brother David. He used to pull chairs over to the door and get it unlocked then leave somewhere. Once he crossed a busy street to go to the church where my brother was at YM's. Another time he tried to follow my parents when they left on a date and ended up on a busy overpass. We spent hours looking for him. My mom finally got a leash for him and put hospital braclets on his wrist incase someone found him when he ran away.

2 comments:

Andy Laura Nick and Noah said...

That's really neat... and scary. You might want to try a kind of lock I think I saw in Jess and Jason's house that goes from the top of the door to the wall above it. Good luck.

Jess and Jason said...

Yeah, that is the only thing that saved us, latches at the tops of the doors. Austin can take them off now, but now he is old enough to go outside by himself.