Thursday, October 02, 2008

Yesterday morning

Yesterday morning Adrianne and I got up for the day around 0610. I got into the shower and Adrianne went for a jog. After being in the shower for a few minutes, it was time to wash my face. I applied the soap to my face, and as I was doing so, I heard, from about 3 feet behind me, "Mahhh-mahhh." Naturally, hearing what sounded like ghost noises to me, I screamed like a girl. A second into the scream my brain caught up with my adrenalin and I recognized that the noise was Isaac.

Let me interrupt my story. On Sunday I was going to the bathroom when I overheard Adrianne telling the boys that I was a monster and that they needed to go "quish" me. I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to play with the boys, so as they ran down the hall to squish me, I turned and yelled, "Roarrrr!" Will was a little startled, but Isaac, stopped, shook like he was having a seizure and then started bawling. That was not my intended reaction, especially since it took about 30 minutes to help him stop crying. For the rest of the day he kept saying, "Daddy, no be monster/dinosaur."

Now, back to my story. I quickly opened the shower curtain to see Isaac, terrified, standing in the bathroom. Before I could say anything, he screamed, too. I tried to reassure him that things were okay, and that I was just a little scared by him, but all he would say was, "Daddy, no be monster. Daddy, no be monster." I couldn't figure out what to do--Do I hop out of the shower naked, dripping, and with soap all over my face to comfort my crying child or do I pick him up and bring him into the shower? I decided to pat his head, and tell him he was okay. After a few minutes he calmed down enough for me to tell him to go back to sleep and that mommy would be home when he woke up.

I no more than shut the curtain and resumed my shower when I heard, "Daddy, what was that scary noise?" With less patience for him, I told Will to get back in his bed and go to sleep.

Some men are afraid to admit that they scream like a little girl. I am not.

Mike

2 comments:

Pitcher Family said...

Sooo funny!! You must be scary looking than I remember.
Another funny thing is that just yesterday Braden was telling me that he doesn't like to scream loud because then he sounds like a girl. I told him that he might grow out of that in ten years or so, but that some boys always sound like a girl when they scream. I will have to tell him about his uncle Mike.
Try not to be so monsterous!!

Jess and Jason said...

I am laughing about you, naked, soapy, and screaming like a girl.

Now I am laughing about Mandy's comment.

I remember going on that scary ride with Andy and Ralph at the Lagoon amusement park and when it dropped us Andy started screaming, but it was not a Ahhhh! like a girl, it was a "AOHHHHH" very low pitched and manly. Sorry Mike...