Saturday, August 01, 2009

Food Storage

I just found this cool calculator to help figure out food storage for a year. Now I have to go figure out what we have and what we need. Some friends of ours just got their years worth of food, so I know it is possible. I am trying to get ours, but it is quite a project as you all know. I will learn how to use our wards canner tomorrow. We bought several bags of wheat and some cans a few months ago that we need to put to use.
Our garden is doing pretty well. We are hoping to get somethings canned and in the freezer for later usage. I'll let you know how that goes.
What are you all working on?

9 comments:

Mike said...

We were going to the cannery every month for a while before we left OK. Now, since we are only going to be here for a little, we are looking at getting our non-food items--soap, toilet paper, girl stuff, laundary detergent, fabric softener sheets, etc. We'll start up with the food again once we're somewhere we'll be for a while.

Mike

Pitcher Family said...

If you find a calculator or list for that stuff, let me know. I'd be interested to see it. Thanks

Pitcher Family said...

I found this other calculator that includes fruits and vegetables, too. In case you were interested.
http://www.thefoodguys.com/foodcalc.html

Jess and Jason said...

that sure is a lot of food!!

Andy Laura Nick and Noah said...

I want to know: What are the 38 "other" pounds under milk?

Pitcher Family said...

I was wondering that, too. I am guessing it is some other kind of dairy that you can store. Like powdered eggs or something along that line. Can you get dehydrated cheese???

Andy Laura Nick and Noah said...

Isn't that the cheese that's been hiding in the back of the fridge that was partially opened, so that its developed a hard cracked outer shell?

Jess and Jason said...

Maybe it is talking about velveta. Won't that stuff survive an atomic bomb? Or maybe it means that cheese in a can stuff to squeeze onto crackers. I better start buying that stuff for my food storage.

Pitcher Family said...

Just wanted to let you know that as of today we have 8 lbs of salt. We are almost to our year supply of salt. If we should need to use that much salt to survive, I think maybe we will be starving, so we will salt our own arms and legs and try to eat them...yum