Thursday, October 22, 2009

Personal Progress

I liked Mandy's discussion questions. I have a few questions I wonder about you all, too.

First: What is a normal day/week like for you (especially Andy and his Laura--I have no idea what your normal day-life is like now)? I have classes Monday through Friday. I usually leave here between 0730 and 0800. I get home around 1630. Every day, except Thursday, my classes are: 1000-1100 Nuclear Physics, 1100-1200 Linear Algebra, 1400-1600 FORTRAN (a computer programming language used by engineers and scientists to do calculations and model stuff). On Thursday's my only class is from 1500-1600, though there are frequently other things I have to do: PT in the morning or afternoon, big meetings with all the students, training, and other junk. I try to get all my homework and reading done while I'm at school so I don't have to do it here at home. Once I get home I do what ever Adrianne tells me to do :). Just kidding. We eat dinner, run errands, exercise, play with the kids watch a show or movie, etc. We are usually in bed between 10:30 and 12:00 (notice, time switches to normal time at some point after I get home from work). We go to bed together every night (there have been a handful of nights in our marriage when we have gone to be at different times).

Second: What goals, aspirations, etc. do you have for yourself? I was thinking about this question this morning. I have 3 main topics that I am working on.
1. I want to be the person God wants me to be. I have been working on this for a while, and I suppose I'll always be working on it. I have become better at reading my scriptures the past few months. I have improved from reading almost every day with some days being just a verse before I go to sleep, to reading every single day with some days only reading a few minutes. Part of my improvement has come as a result of another change I've been trying to implement. I try to get the most important things done before I do the less important things. For example, I get everything ready for the next morning (make a lunch and get my clothes and anything else I need for the next day together) before I do anything else in the evenings. I also study the scriptures, work on my calling, and do anything else I'm supposed to do before I can watch tv or do the other things I want to do.
2. I'm trying to do well in school. I'm not trying to be perfect, but I do want to put forward a good effort.
3. I'm working towards being wealthy. Besides our retirement savings, I'm looking at getting into real estate investment. I'm also working on a fantasy novel that I hope to have published (and sold). We pray each night that we will be careful and wise in how we spend our money, and I have been praying for help to write my book so that millions of people will buy it. :) .
What about you all?

6 comments:

Mike and Adrianne said...

Mike told me I have to answer this too.

1. Our day looks like this: I wake up and make breakfast. After breakfast I check email and blogs. Then I get in the shower while the boys watch a show. We all get ready for the day and then we usually go get errands done or go somewhere to play depending on the weather. We usually do our learning activities/crafts during this time as well. We come home and eat lunch and then we have play time for about an hour. Then it's naptime/quiet time. During this time I usually read scriptures, check the blogs again, and clean. After naps I get dinner started. Mike comes home and I boss him...not really, I just thought his comment was funny about how he does whatever I make him do. I don't have to make him do anything, he just does it. Anyway, then we do family things and have scripture reading, prayer, bedtime. After the boys go to bed we exercise, watch movies, watch so you think you can dance, etc. I usually get the dishes done now or right after dinner. Then bedtime. There's a detailed report.

2. My goals aren't really that well defined. I want to be a good mom and a good wife. I want to be better at serving people and I want to make a difference in someone's life. Of course I want to progress spiritually. I want to support Mike in making his millions ;). I want to learn to becaome a really good homemaker. I want to take classes (I'm taking a two week photography course right now and a cake decorating course). I want to write really well, though I don't really know what that means. That's it.

Pitcher Family said...

I need to do some thinking on this before I can answer you...

Andy Laura Nick and Noah said...

My days are different, depending on different rotating schedules that run my life. Some days, I have to get up early to oversee the change of hospital power from one generator to the other. Some days I have to get up early to participate in a work group to replace old sandbags with new sandbags(tomorow I get to do this). On other days, I get to sleep untill around 6. I get up and exersize, then get ready for work. Every morning at 8 I have a meeting with the people who run the hospital. I'm the lowest ranking guy who shows up, and yet I'm one of the few people who expected to say something every day. After the meeting I work untill around 12 when I go to the chow hall for lunch(For breakfast, the "nutrition care" section of the hospital brings sausage bisquit sandwiches and donuts. I try to only eat the sandwiches). At 1 (1300) I go back to work. Between 5:30 and 7:30(1730-1930) I'll walk back to the chow hall to get dinner. After dinner I'll do a bit more work, watch tv, or play a computer game untill 8:00 (2000) when I chat with Laura on MSN Messenger. Afterwards, I'll either play more video games/watch more tv or go to sleep.
My sub-goals are as follows:
Consistantly read the Book of Mormon at least 15 Min every day.
Exersize at maximum level every morning(not Sunday)
Complete all of the corse work for my classes with Thomas Edison State College on time.
Write 4000 words every week for the book I'm writing.

Jess and Jason said...

My days are a little like Andys...I have three different kinds of days.
Work days: I get up at 0610, shower dress, and head to work by 0700. Once I get to work I get report (about 35mins) and then check the crash carts to make sure everything works...just in case. I go to bed meeting at 0815...I wonder if it is the same meeting Andy goes to every morning. I spend the rest of my day helping the other nurses with their patients, assigning beds to the new patients. Making staffing calls because we are always short staffed, and dealing with any problems...patients, staff, families, etc. I make assignments for the next shift at 1800, and then given report to the on coming nurse at 1900. I usually leave work at 2000 (8pm), get home, kiss the kids good night, and then go to bed.
Week day home: Wake up at 0610, lay around, try to keep sleeping until one of the kids wakes up around 0700. Get up, do the laundry (this does not get done while I am at work). Get the kids on the bus (Jason makes their lunches). Do dishes. Grocery shop. Go out to lunch with friends (only on Thursdays). The kids get off the bus at 3:53. When they get home we do homework and then get dinner ready. Practice the piano. Watch a movie if there is time and then bedtime at 8pm. Thursdays I have school from 5:30-9:30.
Weekend days when I am home we all try and do things together. Apple picking, picnics, something like that. Otherwise I squeeze in laundry and grocery shopping, etc.

I will have to think more about my goals...I want to get through school, I have finished 6 of 17 classes to get my Bachelors. I want to immediately start working on my Masters when I finish, majoring in nursing with a minor in education. I think I want to teach in a nursing school...but that may just sound good.

I want to have a house with some land, at least an acre, probably not more than 2-3. I want Jason to have a garage he can work in just for fun. I want to have a pool...

I want to be healthy and want to want to exercise.

I want to want to read my scriptures. We have been trying to do better with the kids, but it is a struggle.

Andy Laura Nick and Noah said...

It took me a second to get it Jess. Want to want to. Yeah, I don't care about wanting to, I just NEED to. It's different when an increase in your pay depends on it.

Pitcher Family said...

I know you have all been waiting anxiously for my daily routine. Well, no worries, here it is now.
6:30-7am Mike, Jacob and I get up. We shower, dress and eat breakfast. If the other kids aren't up by 7:30, we wake them up. Mike goes to work now, too. The kids eat, dress, and get to school by 8:30. Tyson, Jacob and I do chores, play, run errands, or watch a show until lunch time. Between 12 and 1 we have lunch, clean it up, read books. Between 1 and 2 Jacob goes to bed for a nap. Tyson and do things during nap that we can't do while he is awake, projects, games, etc. The other kids come home from school at 3:10. We have snack, check back packs, do any home work, look through book orders, library books, etc. We play, fight, argue, watch tv, play computer games, go outside on trampoline until dinner at 6:15. I try to clean up some of the massive destruction that has occurred that day before Mike gets home, but that doesn't always happen. We eat at 6:15, clean up dinner, try to have scriptures and prayer and then MIke will often return to work. Bedtime is 8pm. We are usually done with that by 8:30. Then I either read or watch tv or check things on computer. Mike and I usually are in bed by 10:30. If he has gone back to work, he comes home at 10pm.
Some days are different, like Monday we have library in the morning and MIkayla has dance class at night. Tuesday we have FHE. Wednesday is laundry, garbage, YW/YM and Activity day for Mikayla. Saturdays we go to Lowes for the build and grow twice a month. Thrilling, I know. I like it.
Goals...
I didn't recognize how many goals we have until I thought about it, as they are not written down anywhere. Here are some:
Pay off student loans and put more into paying off house. Obtain food storage cheaply with deals, coupons and sales. Raise responsible, respectful and happy family. Organize home. Potty train Jake. Have dry beds everynight. Don't overdo Christmas. Help Jacob stop saying: bum bum, butt/ bye bye butt/dummy head. Finish Book of Mormon by January 6, with the YW of ward.

That was fun, lets hear from the Seattle Richards and Mom and dad and Laura in Argentina!!