Sunday, October 09, 2011

Time Management

I was talking with Adrianne this evening and expressed some frustration that I feel about myself--that I don't feel like I excel at anything. As we talked about it, I discovered that my frustration is not so much that I'm not super good at anything (I'm not, but that doesn't really bother me), but rather I'm frustrated that I don't get the things done that I think I should. I feel like I finally encapsulated the idea with this analogy:
I feel like each day can be represented as a jar full of sand. I take that sand and dump it into a machine that produces widgets. Every morning I dump my sand into the machine, and every evening I'm disappointed with the number and kind of widgets produced. I think my machine must has too many leaks in it and I'm losing a lot of the sand to small wastes throughout the day. At work, for example, I get everything done that I need to. I'm a good employee, but I don't excel at work. If I know I can get everything done that I need to get done that day, I'll read a new article, or go shoot the breeze with someone else. I know these aren't bad things necessarily, but if I cut the amount of time I spent doing these things in half, and instead spent that time improving my lessons or doing my professional development stuff or even doing my own research, I think I'd feel much more productive and valuable at the end of my day.

I've known this for a long time, and I've wanted to change, but even with the knowledge and desire, I continue to do the same things. Why do you suppose that is? Have any of you been able to change something similar about yourself? I feel the same way about my time at home. Why am I writing the post, for example?

4 comments:

Pitcher Family said...

I enjoyed your post, Mike. I feel very similar. I know I don't spend my time in the best way, like here I am on the blog again... While most of my time is at home, I get the food and the laundry taken care of, but what do I do with the rest of my day??
I'm thinking of making a type of schedule for things I'd like to do each day. For me it helps to have something to check or cross of. Now, I've been thinking of making this schedule for a long time now, but I'm sure I'll do it soon!
However, I must brag a bit on myself. I never had time to exercise, which I need to do. We finally joined the YMCA and now I get up and go to classes at 5:45 each weekday morning. I am not taking time away from anyone but myself. I feel happy with that change, although I am tired as I have not adjusted to this schedule yet.
I just read about how even as adults we need rewards or incentives, challenges and goals. Maybe if you set yourself up with a challenge or goal you could meet it and reward yourself?
Good luck Mike! At least you recognize what you want to change, some people don't even get that far.

Mike and Adrianne said...

Of course I think Mike excels in a lot of areas. He is way better than me and he is so much more busy than me. I certainly don't consider myself lazy--I think I am pretty productive generally. But, compared to Mike, I look lazy. I do understand exactly what he is saying though. I am always trying to be better at time management.

Adrianne

Jess and Jason said...

I think Mike is pretty awesome, so reading that post really makes me look at my life and my productivity.
I feel like I am extremely productive at work. In general I do a great job. But maybe because of that I fail to be productive at home. Instead of doing pretty good everywhere I am great in one area and suck in another.
Part of me feels justified in this, but I know that I can be great, and really am choosing not to be. That doesn't make me feel good at all.

Jason and I have talked about this before too. He is an all or nothing person. He is incredible and can get so much accomplished. When I first started working and he went back to school he would clear the entire house while I was gone. He begins projects on the house and goes full throttle for days and days. He frequently forgets to eat and has trouble going to sleep in the midst of one of his self inflicted chores. He is pretty amazing...

Dad and Mom said...

Join the club. I think I used to excel at much of what I did, but these days, I have 3 things to do for the day when I get to work, and I do stuff all day, and at the end of the day, the same three things still need to be done, plus a bunch more. It's a losing battle, and I end up working overtime, days off, and weekends to get everything done. Be pleased with what you accomplish and look forward to all the things that are yet before you!

Dad