Saturday, May 03, 2008

Food Storage

I have been feeling for a while that we ought to do better with our food storage. I have changed my budget around to give us more money for the next few months to stock up on food storage. What kinds of stuff do you all have as your food storage? I assume I will eventually want to get the standards: beans, rice, wheat, other stuff we don't ever really eat..., but for now I'd like to find stuff that will last for a while, but that we will really rotate (Like peanut butter, spagetti noodles, toilet paper...). What do you all do?

4 comments:

Pitcher Family said...

We have that same feeling, that we need to work on it. We don't have much. Wheat, milk, rice, beans, oats, pudding, soup mix, potatoes. We also have peanutbutter and maybe one can of sugar. We have used a bit of it, and need to use the rest as it may expire before too long. We are putting it off until we are in a house. What about canned fruits and veges? Do you have a wheat grinder? That is on my list. As the prices on food goes up, I wish we had better storage. You could also buy a cow and pig and some chickens... just an idea!

Andy Laura Nick and Noah said...

When I own my own home, I would like to keep rabbits for a ready source of protein. They seem a lot cleaner than chickens, and less noisy. No eggs, though. For right now, I have about a months worth of left over MRE's(meals, ready to eat.) Again, not something we really rotate.

Richards in Seattle said...

Canned Raviolis,spaghettios, chicken noodle soup, spaghetti sauce. No basics here, but plenty of canned food we frequently eat. We'd get by for a few months anyway.

Jess and Jason said...

We have the same goal as everyone else. We want to do it, but just don't really know how. We don't use wheat or oats really, so though it is smart to have that eventually, I don't feel that it is the smartest to start there.

When I do find something good on sale I usually buy lots of it. Cereal for $.99. I buy 10. But then I don't buy any for a few months and we start to get low on it again...