Thursday, December 18, 2008

Here comes Santa Claus!


Christmas is a week away now. What are you doing this year? Are you ready? Have you given your list to the big fat man?? Here are Braden and Tyson visiting with Santa. Mikayla and Jacob refused to.
I have been having way too much fun shopping this year. I love buying and giving gifts!! The kids have been doing chores to earn money so they can buy gifts out of "Mommy's Store". I have some little things that they can buy to give to each other. I am not sure who has more fun with this, me or them.
I have done much baking and taking of treats to friends and neighbors. Another thing I love to do. We have finished all the peanut butter cups and will need to make more. Do you all make these? What treats do you make? We also made English toffee, chocolate creme cookies, turtles in a pretzel tree, hug and kiss pretzels, gingerbread men, almond roca, peppermint bark and merry berry bars. I am planning to do some little popcorn balls next week.
As for decorating, we have a little fake tree, little as in under 6 feet. I put it up on some cinder blocks to make it bigger. We got it for $5 and decided to not spend any more on a better tree. Maybe next year. The kids had a great time putting on the ornaments. Mike didn't even rearrange them when they went to bed. I was shocked. We also put up icicles and lights around the windows. We set up our nativities. We are planning to do a live nativity for family night this week. Are you also doing this??
I have some wrapping to do, which I enjoy doing. I have LOTS of cleaning to do, which I don't enjoy doing (and I just might not do it!!)
What traditions are you doing with your family? We have decided to do the live nativity, like I mentioned, and we are going to try and do a puzzle together each year (a big one, not a 25 piecer), we like to drive around and look at lights, and this year we gave some gifts to a family in the ward that is not doing well financially. I really liked that, it felt good!
I just really like Christmas. I wish we could all be together one year, but don't see that happening any time soon. Maybe some day we could all come together the week after Christmas and share some fun traditions together.
Anyway, I will stop rambling on, but I'd really like to hear what you all are up to in your Christmas preparations/plans, it makes you seem closer. Love you all!!

3 comments:

Mike and Adrianne said...

Well, you saw the decorating we did. My friend is moving so she gave me her old wreath so I now have a new (old) wreath. It is fun. We made plates of treats and took those around Tuesday but we aren't nearly as ambitious as you! I would love being your neighbor. Will had his Christmas party at dance on Tuesday. We wrapped some gifts today...the boys wrapped some and it is really funny looking at those gifts under the tree. Mike and I have to sing at our ward Christmas party on Saturday so we have been working on that. We are going to watch the Polar express and then make the Polar express candy train again this year. We also bought a Christmas book and we are wrapping that up for the boys to open Christmas Eve and then we will read that and tell the Nativity story as well. The boys are in the ward Nativity as well. Hmmm...I can't think of much else. Oh, here is one thing that my mom used to do that I like to do at Christmas time: heat cinnamon sticks in water on the stove. It fills the whole house up and I just love it. You can use the same sticks over and over again. I thought it was just me that liked it but I caught Mike doing it the other day. Ok, I think that is all.

Jess and Jason said...

We have put up our two Christmas tress. Fortunately they both have built in lights. One of them has decorations on it. The other one probably never will! We have put up different candles and things to make the house ready.

I have not had time to bake anything yet, and am sad about that, but should be able to start really soon. I will make peanut butter cups and probably cranberry bread. Not sure what else yet. I want to take treats to some friends and my VT sisters.

We still have a fair bit of shopping to do...but that will be fun.

I don't have to work again until the day after Christmas, and Jason is done with school, so we will have a nice little break together!

We did get Christmas cards, but they are still sitting on my counter, so you should see them sometime in the future! Just know that we are thinking of each of you and we love you!

Andy Laura Nick and Noah said...

Our Christmas progress is on our blog now. Don't go into shock. It has happened before.