Sunday, December 07, 2008

Hi Everybody,

I just watched the 1st Presidency's Christmas Devotional, and as at every year was touched by the wonderful talks they give and the spririt they bring to the season. I tried to think of traditions that we had in my home as a child during Christmas, and, whether because we didn't really have many (any?) or because my memory is not good, I can't think of any except decorating the Christmas tree. Every year we would get a real tree, and we would decorate it with Mom. I don't remember if Dad participated or not, and I don't remember doing much myself, except I would help Mom hang the icecicles. Icecicles were made of aluminum foil in those days, and they had to be hung just so on our tree. Mom made them hang beautifuly - long and streaming up and down nearly every branch, reflecting the many colored lights and christmas bulbs that were also on the tree. I'm sure that after we all went to bed, Mom would go back and rehang many of the icecicles we kids had hung to make them look better. It was as if the trees had long silver hair that had been brushed and brushed until it glowed warm and serene. Our trees were always beautiful, and I was impressed with the care that Mom put into them, I think because it was her gift to the family and to the Savior, both of which she loved so much. Sometimes I really miss my Mom and Dad.

I'm sorry we didn't build any real family traditions for you kids to remember as you were growing up. Your Mom wanted to, but I was always to busy or thought they were silly. I did go along with reading the story in Luke every year, and we still do that. Thank you Carol, for being persistent in helping me to read to the kids and you, and now to you and me, every year.

I hope you kids will make the time and establish wonderful traditions of service, love, compassion, and worship with your beautiful families that you repeat each Christmas season, so they will learn and always remember, and when they have families of thier own, be able to teach their children about their family traditions, developed around the greatest gift ever given, that of the birth, life, and sacrifice of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I love you all so very much, and am so happy with you, your families, and the lives you live, the examples you set. Your Mom and I could not have been more blessed than to have you children and your children in our lives. May you all have the joy that comes with loving each other, holding your families close, making sacrifices for each other, and preparing together for exaltation and eternal life, for that is what it is all about, after all.

Love,

Dad

3 comments:

Jess and Jason said...

Something that I remember from growing up during Christmas time is singing songs in the car while we were driving. I can remember doing it one year while wiggling a lose tooth (around 7 years old?) and also as a teen-ager in Germany. I know that we didn't have a lot of traditions, but I think that we had a pretty great family!

Mike and Adrianne said...

Thanks, Dad. I always thought we had family traditions...maybe I just imagined them. Like you said, we always read from Luke. Before we would all go to bed, we would put our stockings where we wanted Santa to leave our presents and choose a time to get up--so that no one cheated and got to see the presents first. Santa never wrapped our best presents, he just left them by our stockings--which always had vienna sausages, oranges, chocolate milk, green olives (when we were older), a new toothbrush (if I remember right), chocolate pudding cups, and maybe some other things I can't remember. Then, we'd all take turns pulling presents from under the tree for someone else--1 at a time so we all got to enjoy seeing what everyone else got. I also remember watching whatever movie the family got as a present later on Christmas day.

While it wasn't necessarily a tradion, I remember caroling, making lots of different treats (english toffee was the first recipe I ever memorized) and delivering the treats to other families.

Mike

Pitcher Family said...

I remember the treats, too. I also thought we got tons of presents, all piled up by our stockings, which we set out on Christmas eve. One of my favorite traditions, was the the box of cereal we got by our pile of stuff. I loved Christmas. ONe year I remember mom let us "shop" for each other in her room. We have started something like that, where the kids earn mommy money and then come to my store. I love christmas.