Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Only Child


I am talking to Mandy right now on Instant Messenger. She and I both went and looked at the blog. Nic is ADORABLE!! I asked her if she remembered what it was like to just have one child....
I could stay in bed until Austin woke up. He was a pretty good sleeper and would stay in bed until 8:00-8:30. In my bed, that is. He slept with us from birth to a year. After that he would sneak back into our bed in the middle of the night. We took him out of his crib at a year. It wasn't until he was at least 3 that he would stay in his own bed all night. But when you only have one child having them in bed with you really isn't that big of a deal.
We would get up and I would get him breakfast. I would feed him, or sit and watch him eat. He was just so cute. After breakfast I would put him in his jumper and exercise. He loved his jumper and would be content in there for about an hour. Sometimes he would even fall asleep in the jumper. Then I could take a shower while he napped.
We would play, read books, watch TV. Have lunch, then take a nap. I would often get to nap with him because I thought I was sleep deprived. (Little did I know.) We would have dinner when Jason came home and then we would all sit and just bask in the glory of having a baby and being a family.
Somehow that all changed when Layla came. There is no resting, no breaks, no just watching the baby. Because now all of a sudden you have all the same cute baby things, but also a toddler who is into everything.
Going from two to three was harder than I could have ever imagined. I don't think I left the house by myself until Ryan was at least 3months old, maybe even 4. But now I think I have got it down. It will never be like it was with just Austin. But it sure is fun.
My point...enjoy having one while you can....then enjoy having just two while you can...and I am going to try and enjoy having three while I can...
Oh yeah, and mom and dad, how did you EVER end up with FIVE of us!?! I sure am glad you did.

1 comment:

Richards in Seattle said...

That's a fascinating, very true story. We are going to try something different. Of course we'll keep you posted. What do you think of 2 teenagers and an infant? May be easier... May be crazier than ever. We'll see!!!