Thursday, January 24, 2008

FYI

So today was Jacob's surgery.
I got up just before 5am and got ready. My in laws came over at 5:30am. Laura stayed with the older kids, she would use my van to take Mikayla to school and then take the boys to her house. Ryan drove Jacob and I to the hospital.
We checked in downstairs and then were sent up to the 6th floor. We were put in a little room with two nice rocker recliners, a baby scale and a fully loaded change table. Also a tv and dvd player. We were given little tiny pjs and slippers to put on the baby. They took his viatls and then the waiting started. At this time he had not eaten in 5 hours. So, he was doing surprisingly well. He didn't want to just sit and rock, though. We walked around in the halls and then when some other children came in, we went to the play room and watched them play.
About 7:30 we were taken to the 2nd floor to another waiting area. Around 8:10, I was gowned, bootied and hairnetted. I carried the hungry, tired little guy to the operating room. I got stay and hold his hand while they put a mask on him that put him to sleep. The hardest part was leaving after that.
In yet another waiting room, they called and let me know the surgeon was finally there and beginning the procedure. That was at 8:40am. At 9:10, I was let to another room to wait and talk to the surgeon. He came in 10 minutes later. All went well, he had removed a 1 inch section of skin from the navel, and found that it was not attached to anything vital, just extra. Jacob is fine.
I was pointed in the direction of the post op room. I went and found my little guy. He was still mostly out of it, but starting to wake up and getting angry. I was able to carry him up to the first room and feed him. They kept coming in to check his vitals and his diaper. I couldn't take him home until he had wet his diaper. He also had a little tiny IV, and a great big wrap on it to hold it in place.
We finally left the hospital at 12:15. He has a gauze animal shaped bandage on his little belly button. It is bloody and kind of gross, but covered in that plastic sticky tape. We will leave it on for 2 days and then underneath it are some white steri strips that we just leave on until they fall off on their own. They said he will either sleep mostly for the next 24 hours, or be irritable, it just depends on the kid.
I am glad it's over!! I am glad he is fine! I am glad my husband is coming home tonight!! I'm glad I'm done waiting in various waiting rooms.

2 comments:

Jess and Jason said...

I am so happy that he is okay! Did you take pictures of him in his jammies?

I have been worried about him all day and calling you every hour!

Mike and Adrianne said...

What a busy day and sad for you. I'm glad your husband is back now so you can have some help and I hope Jacob is feeling better.